Skip to Main Content
Field performance of timber bridges. 6, Hoffman Run stress-laminated deck bridgeAuthor(s): M. A. Ritter; P. D. Hilbrich Lee; G. J. Porter
Source: (Research paper FPL ; RP-549):16 p. : ill., maps ; 28 cm.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (1.7 MB)
DescriptionThe Hoffman Run bridge, located just outside Dahoga, Pennsylvania, was constructed in October 1990. The bridge is a simple-span, single-lane, stress-laminated deck superstructure that is approximately 26 ft long and 16 ft wide. It is the second stress-laminated timber bridge to be constructed of hardwood lumber in Pennsylvania. The performance of the bridge was monitored continually for approximately 32 months, beginning shortly after installation. Performance monitoring involved gathering and evaluating data relative to the moisture content of the wood deck, the force level of steel stressing bars, the deck vertical creep, and the behavior of the bridge under static-load conditions. Furthermore, comprehensive visual inspections were executed to assess the overall condition of the structure. Based on field evaluations, the bridge is performing properly with no structural deficiencies, although with respect to serviceability, the bridge has developed a slight sag at midspan.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRitter, M. A.; Hilbrich Lee, P. D.; Porter, G. J. Field performance of timber bridges. 6, Hoffman Run stress-laminated deck bridge. (Research paper FPL ; RP-549):16 p. : ill., maps ; 28 cm.
KeywordsBridges, Structural timbers, Laminated wood, Stress analysis, Performance, Stress lamination
- Field performance of timber bridges. 5, Little Salmon Creek stress-laminated deck bridge
- Field performance of timber bridges. 7, Connell Lake stress-laminated deck bridge
- Field performance of timber bridges. 13, Mohawk Canal stress-laminated bridge
XML: View XML