Review of the effects of barred owls on spotted owlsAuthor(s): Linda L. Long; Jared D. Wolfe
Source: The Journal of Wildlife Management. 83(6): 1281-1296
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
View PDF (693.0 KB)
Barred owls (Strix varia) are forest‐dwelling owls, native to eastern North America, with populations that expanded westward into the range of the spotted owl (Strix occidentalis). Barred owls exert an overwhelmingly negative influence on spotted owls, thereby threatening spotted owl population viability where the species co‐occur. In this review, we provide an overview of the barred owl’s range expansion and detail and synthesize previously published literature on spotted and barred owls within the range of the spotted owl as related to potential future outcomes for the northern spotted owl (S. o. caurina). We include research on diet, habitat use and selection, effects of barred owls on spotted owl demography and behavior, hybridization with spotted owls, parasites, contemporary management, and future research needs for spotted owl populations given continued barred owl expansion throughout western North America. Our literature review and synthesis should provide managers with the information necessary to develop strategies that mitigate deleterious effects of barred owls at local and landscape scales.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLong, Linda L.; Wolfe, Jared D. 2019. Review of the effects of barred owls on spotted owls. The Journal of Wildlife Management. 83(6): 1281-1296. https://doi.org/10.1002/jwmg.21715.
Keywordsbarred owl, endangered species, forest, invasive species, spotted owl, Strix occidentalis, Strix varia, western United States
- Barred owl occupancy surveys within the range of the northern spotted owl
- Managing emerging threats to spotted owls
- Activity center selection by northern spotted owls
XML: View XML