Skip to Main Content
Plans for crash-tested bridge railings for longitudinal wood decksAuthor(s): M. A. Ritter; R. K. Faller; P. D. Hilbrich Lee; B. T. Rosson; S. R. Duwadi
Source: (General technical report FPL ; GTR-87):27 p. : ill. ; 28 x 43 cm.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (6.6 MB)
DescriptionIn the past decade, bridge railing design criteria have moved away from static-load design and have focused on full-scale crash testing as a more appropriate and reliable means of evaluating bridge railings. The five bridge railing plans presented reflect the results of a cooperative research project between the Midwest Roadside Safety Facility, University of Nebraska--Lincoln; the USDA Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory; and the Federal Highway Administration. The project objective was to develop and crash test bridge railings and approach railing transitions for longitudinal wood bridge decks. The bridge railings were completed in accordance with AASHTO Performance Level 1, Performance Level 2, and NCHRP Report 350 Test Level 4 (TL-4). Approach railings were tested or adapted from previous testing in accordance with NCHRP Report 230. Full drawing sets are provided in customary U.S. and SI unites of measure. The testing procedures, results, and drawings have been approved by the Federal Highway Administration Federal-Aid and Design Office for use on Federal-aid highway projects.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRitter, M. A.; Faller, R. K.; Hilbrich Lee, P. D.; Rosson, B. T.; Duwadi, S. R. 1995. Plans for crash-tested bridge railings for longitudinal wood decks. (General technical report FPL ; GTR-87):27 p. : ill. ; 28 x 43 cm.
KeywordsBridges, Decks, Design, Standards, Construction technology, Crash testing
- Railing systems for use on timber deck bridges
- Two test level 4 bridge railing and transition systems for transverse timber deck bridges
- Plans for crash-tested wood bridge railings for concrete decks
XML: View XML