Skip to Main Content
Local public priorities and preferences for public land management in the Northern RegionAuthor(s): Rebecca Rasch; Sarah McCaffrey
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-400. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 96 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (9.0 MB)
DescriptionLocal land managers are tasked with balancing the needs and preferences of local and national publics. This report provides a snapshot of preferences for local public land management and the demographics of communities within 50 miles of U.S. national forests and grasslands in the Northern Region of the U.S. Forest Service. This information is important for managers because understanding the preferences of different user groups is essential as they seek to manage for multiple uses and balance distinct interests. This information can be used to: (a) inform project and forest planning, (b) craft relevant public engagement opportunities and (c) serve as a baseline for monitoring Forest Service contributions to social sustainability. These data can also help different public land user groups better understand one another and their distinct, sometimes conflicting, preferences. These data may also be useful to various external partners such as local nongovernmental organizations, State and local elected officials and their staffs, and State and other Federal land management officials.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRasch, Rebecca; McCaffrey, Sarah. 2019. Local public priorities and preferences for public land management in the Northern Region. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-400. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 96 p.
Keywordsforest management preferences, public engagement, forest management priorities, forest planning, social sustainability, social impact analysis, social monitoring
- Recreational use in dispersed public lands measured using social media data and on-site counts
- A qualitative and quantitative analysis of risk perception and treatment options as related to wildfires in the USDA FS Region 3 National Forests
- Raw materials from the public lands in century 21
XML: View XML