Skip to Main Content
Plans for crash-tested wood bridge railings for concrete decksAuthor(s): Michael A. Ritter; Ronald K. Faller; Barry T. Rosson; Paula D. Hilbrich Lee; Sheila Rimal Duwadi
Source: (General technical report FPL ; GTR-108):11 p. : plans ; 44 x 28 cm.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (231 KB)
DescriptionAs part of a continuing cooperative research between the Midwest Roadside Safety Facility (MwRSF); the USDA Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory (FPL); and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), several crashworthy wood bridge railings and approach railing transitions have been adapted for use on concrete bridge decks. These railings meet testing and evaluation criteria outlined in National Cooperative Research Program (NCHRP) Report 350, Recommended Procedures for the Safety Performance Evaluation of Highway Features, and include a glued-laminated timber (glulam) rail, with and without a curb, at Test Level- 2 (TL-2), a glulam rail with curb at TL-4, and a glulam curb rail for low-volume roads at TL-1. In adapting the railings from a wood deck to a concrete deck, the critical consideration was railing attachment to the deck. A comparable connection was obtained by an analysis of maximum loads measured by field instrumentation during crash testing or by equating the ultimate capacity of connections used on the wood deck to those required for a concrete deck. For the convenience of the user, full drawing sets are provided in customary U.S. and S.I. units.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRitter, Michael A.; Faller, Ronald K.; Rosson, Barry T.; Hilbrich Lee, Paula D.; Duwadi, Sheila Rimal. 1998. Plans for crash-tested wood bridge railings for concrete decks. (General technical report FPL ; GTR-108):11 p. : plans ; 44 x 28 cm.
- Railing systems for use on timber deck bridges
- Plans for crash-tested bridge railings for longitudinal wood decks
- Two test level 4 bridge railing and transition systems for transverse timber deck bridges
XML: View XML