Skip to Main Content
SPC handbook for the treated wood industriesAuthor(s): Timothy M. Young; Patricia K. Lebow; Stan Lebow; Adam Taylor
Source: Knoxville, TN: University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture, Center for Renewable Carbon. 78 p.
Publication Series: Book
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (5.0 MB)
DescriptionThis Statistical Process Control (SPC) Handbook introduces wood preservation industry personnel to the terminology and statistical process control (SPC) tools available for understanding and monitoring industrial processes. For those who want further information, references are provided at the end of each section. The content is for educational purposes only. The use of trade or firm names in this publication is for reader information and does not imply endorsement by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) or The University of Tennessee of any product or service. This Handbook is organized as follows:
-Understanding variability and why we want to reduce it;
-Introducing important statistics
-Tools for visualizing data
-Understanding your process variability using control charts
-Root-cause analyses for reducing variation
-Appendices on statistical methods
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationYoung, Timothy M.; Lebow, Patricia K.; Lebow, Stan; Taylor, Adam. 2019. SPC handbook for the treated wood industries. Knoxville, TN: University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture, Center for Renewable Carbon. 78 p.
KeywordsSPC, statistical process control, wood preservation, treatment process variability, control chart, capability analysis
- A protocol for implementing statistical process control in the treated wood industry
- Quality control troubleshooting tools for the mill floor
- Statistical process control for residential treated wood
XML: View XML