Skip to Main Content
Stress wave timing nondestructive evaluation tools for inspecting historic structures : a guide for use and interpretation.Author(s): Robert Ross; Roy F. Pellerin; Norbert Volny; William W. Salsig; Robert H. Falk
Source: (General technical report FPL ; GTR-119):15 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (277 KB)
DescriptionThis guide was prepared to assist inspectors in the use of stress wave timing instruments and various methods of locating and defining areas of decay in timber members in historic structures. The first two sections provide (a) background information regarding conventional methods to locate and measure decay in historic structures and (b) the principles of stress wave nondestructive testing and measurement techniques. The last section is a detailed description of how to apply the use of stress wave nondestructive testing methods in the field. A sample field data acquisition form and additional reference material are included in the Appendix. This guide includes all the information needed to begin to utilize and interpret results from stress wave timing nondestructive evaluation methods.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRoss, Robert.; Pellerin, Roy F.; Volny, Norbert.; Salsig, William W.; Falk, Robert H. 2000. Stress wave timing nondestructive evaluation tools for inspecting historic structures : a guide for use and interpretation. (General technical report FPL ; GTR-119):15 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
KeywordsHistoric buildings--Inspection, Stress waves--Measurement, Wood--Testing, Non-destructive testing, Historic buildings, Structural timbers, Nondestructive testing, Inspection, Instruments, Decayed wood, Stress waves
- Assessment of decay in standing timber using stress wave timing nondestructive evaluation tools : a guide for use and interpretation
- Inspection of timber bridges using stress wave timing nondestructive evaluation tools : a guide for use and interpretation
- Nondestructive evaluation of oriented strand board exposed to decay fungi.
XML: View XML