Skip to Main Content
Inspection of timber bridges using stress wave timing nondestructive evaluation tools : a guide for use and interpretationAuthor(s): Robert J. Ross; Roy F. Pellerin; Norbert Volny; William W. Salsig; Robert H. Falk
Source: (General technical report FPL ; GTR-114):15 p. : ill., map ; 28 cm.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (414 KB)
DescriptionThis guide was prepared to assist inspectors in the use of stress wave timing instruments and the various methods of locating and defining areas of decay in timber bridge members. The first two sections provide (a) background information regarding conventional methods to locate and measure decay in timber bridges and (b) the principles of stress wave nondestructive testing and its measurement techniques. The last section is a detailed description of how to apply the field use of stress wave nondestructive testing methods. A sample field data acquisition form and additional reference material are included in the Appendix. This guide includes all the information needed to begin to utilize and interpret results from stress wave timing nondestructive evaluation methods.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRoss, Robert J.; Pellerin, Roy F.; Volny, Norbert.; Salsig, William W.; Falk, Robert H. 1999. Inspection of timber bridges using stress wave timing nondestructive evaluation tools : a guide for use and interpretation. (General technical report FPL ; GTR-114):15 p. : ill., map ; 28 cm.
KeywordsStructural timbers, Bridges, Nondestructive testing, Test procedure
- Stress wave timing nondestructive evaluation tools for inspecting historic structures : a guide for use and interpretation.
- Assessment of decay in standing timber using stress wave timing nondestructive evaluation tools : a guide for use and interpretation
- Nondestructive evaluation of oriented strand board exposed to decay fungi.
XML: View XML