Skip to Main Content
Enhancing the Irish NFI using k -nearest neighbors and a genetic algorithmAuthor(s): Daniel McInerney; Frank Barrett; Ronald E. McRoberts; Erkki Tomppo
Source: Canadian Journal of Forest Research
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (6.0 MB)
DescriptionThis paper presents a nationwide application of k-nearest neighbors (k-NN) to estimate growing stock volume per hectare for the Irish National Forest Estate using optical satellite imagery and field inventory data from the second National Forest Inventory (NFI). Two approaches are tested: an unweighted k-NN and an improved version (ik-NN) that is optimised using a genetic algorithm. The performance of the models is assessed in terms of the root mean square error (RMSE) and prediction error. From the simulations, it was found that the optimal value of k was 3, and the smallest pixel-level RMSE for growing stock was 126 m3·ha–1 when ik-NN was used. Comparisons with estimates from the NFI show that the ik-NN technique can enhance the Irish NFI. These improvements include a total estimate of growing stock volume of 102 million m3 with a confidence interval of ±3%, which is smaller than the NFI-reported confidence interval of ±5%. In addition, while total county-level estimates of growing volume estimated using ik-NN were consistent with those published from the NFI, their corresponding confidence intervals were much narrower, in the range of a two- to four-fold reduction in the width of the confidence interval.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcInerney, Daniel; Barrett, Frank; McRoberts, Ronald E.; Tomppo, Erkki. 2018. Enhancing the Irish NFI using k -nearest neighbors and a genetic algorithm . Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 48(12): 1482-1494. https://doi.org/10.1139/cjfr-2018-0011.
Keywordsforest inventory, remote sensing, k-NN, nearest neighbors, genetic algorithm
- Updating national forest inventory estimates of growing stock volume using hybrid inference
- A comparison of selected parametric and non-parametric imputation methods for estimating forest biomass and basal area
- Multivariate inference for forest inventories using auxiliary airborne laser scanning data
XML: View XML