Skip to Main Content
Three Visualization Approaches for Communicating and Exploring Passive Integrated Transponder Tag DataAuthor(s): Benjamin H. Letcher; Jeffrey D. Walker; Matthew J. O'Donnell; Andrew R. Whiteley; Keith H. Nislow; Jason A. Coombs
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (722.0 KB)
DescriptionAs the number, size, and complexity of ecological data sets have increased, narrative and interactive raw data visualizations have emerged as important tools for exploring and understanding these large data sets. As a demonstration, we developed three visualizations to communicate and explore passive integrated transponder tag data from two long-term field studies. We created three independent visualizations for the same data set, allowing separate entry points for users with different goals and experience levels. The first visualization uses a narrative approach to introduce users to the study. The second visualization provides interactive crossfilters that allow users to explore multivariate relationships in the data set. The last visualization allows users to visualize the movement histories of individual fish within the stream network. This suite of visualization tools allows a progressive discovery of more detailed information and should make the data accessible to users with a wide variety of backgrounds and interests.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLetcher, Benjamin H.; Walker, Jeffrey D.; O'Donnell, Matthew J.; Whiteley, Andrew R.; Nislow, Keith H.; Coombs, Jason A. 2018. Three Visualization Approaches for Communicating and Exploring Passive Integrated Transponder Tag Data. Fisheries. 43(5): 241-248. https://doi.org/10.1002/fsh.10067.
- Interactive visual analysis promotes exploration of long-term ecological data
- SimilarityExplorer: A visual inter-comparison tool for multifaceted climate data
- YouGenMap: a web platform for dynamic multi-comparative mapping and visualization of genetic maps
XML: View XML