Skip to Main Content
Facile fabrication of 100% bio-based and degradable ternary cellulose/PHBV/PLA compositesAuthor(s): Tao Qiang; Jinwu Wang; Michael Wolcott
Source: Materials. 11(2). 14 p.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (16.0 MB)
DescriptionModifying bio-based degradable polymers such as polylactide (PLA) and poly(hydroxybutyrate-co-hydroxyvalerate) (PHBV) with non-degradable agents will compromise the 100% degradability of their resultant composites. This work developed a facile and solvent-free route in order to fabricate 100% bio-based and degradable ternary cellulose/PHBV/PLA composite materials. The effects of ball milling on the physicochemical properties of pulp cellulose fbers, and the ball-milled cellulose particles on the morphology and mechanical properties of PHBV/PLA blends, were investigated experimentally and statistically. The results showed that more ball-milling time resulted in a smaller particle size and lower crystallinity by way of mechanical disintegration. Filling PHBV/PLA blends with the ball-milled celluloses dramatically increased the stiffness at all of the levels of particle size and flling content, and improved their elongation at the break and fracture work at certain levels of particle size and flling content. It was also found that the high flling content of the ball-milled cellulose particles was detrimental to the mechanical properties for the resultant composite materials. The ternary cellulose/PHBV/PLA composite materials have some potential applications, such as in packaging materials and automobile inner decoration parts. Furthermore, flling content contributes more to the variations of their mechanical properties than particle size does. Statistical analysis combined with experimental tests provide a new pathway to quantitatively evaluate the effects of multiple variables on a specifc property, and fgure out the dominant one for the resultant composite materials.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationQiang, Tao; Wang, Jinwu; Wolcott, Michael. 2018. Facile fabrication of 100% bio-based and degradable ternary cellulose/PHBV/PLA composites. Materials. 11(2). 14 p.
KeywordsCellulose, ball milling, polylactide, extrusion blending, injection molding, statistical analysis
- Facile Preparation of Cellulose/Polylactide Composite Materials with Tunable Mechanical Properties
- Effect of Material Parameters on Mechanical Properties of Biodegradable Polymers/Nanofibrillated Cellulose (NFC) Nano Composites
- Performance of poly(lactic acid)/ cellulose nanocrystal composite blown films processed by two different compounding approaches
XML: View XML