Skip to Main Content
Fuel dynamics after reintroduced fire in an old-growth Sierra Nevada mixed-conifer forestAuthor(s): C. Alina Cansler; Mark E. Swanson; Tucker J. Furniss; Andrew J. Larson; James A. Lutz
Source: Fire Ecology. 15: 16.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptioncSurface fuel loadings are some of the most important factors contributing to fire intensity and fire spread. In old-growth forests where fire has been long excluded, surface fuel loadings can be high and can include woody debris ≥100 cm in diameter. We assessed surface fuel loadings in a long-unburned old-growth mixed-conifer forest in Yosemite National Park, California, USA, and assessed fuel consumption from a management-ignited fire set to control the progression of the 2013 Rim Fire. Specifically, we characterized the distribution and heterogeneity of pre-fire fuel loadings, both along transects and contained in duff mounds around large trees. We compared surface fuel consumption to that predicted by the standard First Order Fire Effects Model (FOFEM) based on pre-fire fuel loadings and fuel moistures. We also assessed the relationship between tree basal area - calculated for two different spatial neighborhood scales - and pre-fire fuel loadings.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationCansler, C. Alina; Swanson, Mark E.; Furniss, Tucker J.; Larson, Andrew J.; Lutz, James A. 2019. Fuel dynamics after reintroduced fire in an old-growth Sierra Nevada mixed-conifer forest. Fire Ecology. 15: 16.
KeywordsAbies concolor, coarse woody debris, FOFEM, fuel consumption, fuel heterogeneity, Pinus lambertiana, Rim Fire, sample size, Smithsonian ForestGEO, Yosemite Forest Dynamics Plot
- Pre-fire and post-fire surface fuel and cover measurements collected in the southeastern United States for model evaluation and development - RxCADRE 2008, 2011 and 2012
- Relationship of post-fire ground cover to surface fuel loads and consumption in longleaf pine ecosystems
- Fuel consumption and particulate emissions during fires in the New Jersey Pinelands
XML: View XML