Skip to Main Content
Structural fire design : woodAuthor(s): E. L. Schaffer
Source: (Research paper FPL ; 450):ii, 17 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (667 KB)
DescriptionAnalytical procedures to predict the fire endurance of structural wood members have been developed worldwide. This research is reviewed for capability to predict the results of tests in North America and what considerations are necessary to apply the information here. Critical research needs suggested include: (1) Investigation of load levels used in reported tests, and parameters in analyses, for application to North American practice; (2) the effect of lumber grade on wood property response at elevated temperature; and (3) further effort in reliability-based design procedures so that the safety of fire-exposed members and assemblies may be determined.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchaffer, E. L. Structural fire design : wood. (Research paper FPL ; 450):ii, 17 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
KeywordsStructural timbers, Safety, Structural design, Fire resistance, Adhesives, Fire effects, Wood strength, Loads, Timber connectors, Fire, Laminated wood, Joints
- Fire resistance of structural composite lumber products
- Analytical methods for determining fire resistance of timber members
- Fire resistance of exposed wood members
XML: View XML