Skip to Main Content
SouthPro : a computer program for managing uneven-aged loblolly pine standsAuthor(s): Benedict. Schulte; Joseph. Buongiorno; Ching-Rong. Lin; Kenneth E. Skog
Source: (General technical report FPL ; GTR-112):ii, 47 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (2.2 MB)
DescriptionSouthPro is a Microsoft Excel add-in program that simulates the management, growth, and yield of uneven-aged loblolly pine stands in the Southern United States. The built-in growth model of this program was calibrated from 991 uneven-aged plots in seven states, covering most growing conditions and sites. Stands are described by the number of trees in 13 size classes for softwood, soft hardwood, and hard hardwood species. SouthPro allows managers to predict stand development, by year and for many decades, from a specific initial diameter distribution. Cutting regimes are specified by the timing and intensity of harvest. Cutting intensity can be set by a free target distribution or a basal area1maximum diameter1q-ratio (BDq) target distribution, or as a diameter-limit cut. Diameter distribution, basal area, volume, income, net present value, and stand diversity by species group and size class are shown in tabulated and graphic form. This manual provides suggestions for working with Excel, describes program installation and activation of SouthPro, and gives background information on the SouthPro growth model. The manual includes a comprehensive tutorial that explains how to start the program; enter simulation data; generate BDq distributions; add, delete, and retrieve setup files; execute single and multiple simulations; plot summary statistics; and produce stock-and-cut tables and marking guides. Limitations of the model and appropriate interpretations of its predictions are discussed.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchulte, Benedict.; Buongiorno, Joseph.; Lin, Ching-Rong.; Skog, Kenneth E. 1998. SouthPro : a computer program for managing uneven-aged loblolly pine stands. (General technical report FPL ; GTR-112):ii, 47 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
KeywordsForest management, Computer software, Pinus taeda, Uneven-aged stands
- CalPro: a spreadsheet program for the management of California mixed-conifer stands.
- WestPro: a computer program for simulating uneven-aged Douglas-fir stand growth and yield in the Pacific Northwest.
- WestProPlus: a stochastic spreadsheet program for the management of all-aged Douglas-fir–hemlock forests in the Pacific Northwest.
XML: View XML