Skip to Main Content
IntroductionAuthor(s): Susan L. Stout
Source: In: Stout, Susan L., ed. SILVAH: 50 years of science-management cooperation. Proceedings of the Allegheny Society of American Foresters training session; 2017 Sept. 20-22; Clarion, PA. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-186. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 1-2.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (58.0 KB)
DescriptionThe Society of American Foresters Allegheny Section Summer 2017 training session was a celebration of a remarkably productive partnership. Beginning in the late 1960s, possibly at an Allegheny Section Society of American Foresters meeting, forest and natural resource managers in northwestern Pennsylvania worked with the USDA Forest Service to support and collaborate on a rigorous and challenging research agenda. The partnership began because the region was experiencing a crisis in natural regeneration, and over the decades it expanded to include several other lines of science. Many of these were represented by presentations at the September 2017 meeting. Many presentations combined an historical overview of scientific work, its translation into management guidelines, and its adoption by managers. In several key cases, presenters went on to describe how managers were able to use research results to bring key policy changes, such as changes in the management of an historically overabundant deer herd, Pennsylvania-wide assessments of regeneration adequacy, or a cohesive multi-agency collaboration to sustain oak in southeastern Ohio. Many presentations ended with a summary of the current state of science and implications for forest management.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationStout, Susan L. 2019. Introduction. In: Stout, Susan L., ed. SILVAH: 50 years of science-management cooperation. Proceedings of the Allegheny Society of American Foresters training session; 2017 Sept. 20-22; Clarion, PA. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-186. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 1-2. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-GTR-P-186-Intro.
- Expanding the SILVAH decision support system to be applicable to the mixed-oak forests of the mid-Atlantic region
- SILVAH: 50 years of science-management cooperation, Proceedings of the Allegheny Society of American Foresters training session
- The SILVAH saga: 40+ years of collaborative hardwood research and management highlight silviculture
XML: View XML