Skip to Main Content
The early years of SILVAHAuthor(s): David A. Marquis
Source: In: Stout, Susan L., ed. SILVAH: 50 years of science-management cooperation. Proceedings of the Allegheny Society of American Foresters training session; 2017 Sept. 20-22; Clarion, PA. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-186. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 3-7.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (89.0 KB)
DescriptionMy task today is to tell you a little about the early years of SILVAH and some of the events that led to its development. The computer program we call SILVAH was preceded by many years of research into four main factors that affect the outcomes of silvicultural treatments in Allegheny hardwood forests. 1) The role of well-developed advance reproduction for ensuring regeneration success. 2) The impacts of protracted browsing by white-tailed deer. 3) Effects of interfering plants such as ferns and understory beech on regenerationsurvival and development. 4) Better ways to assess stand conditions and prescribe appropriate silviculturaltreatments. This involved assimilating the findings from the research into silviculturalguidelines and then into a system of stand inventory, analysis, and prescription writing. That system was originally used without the benefit of computers.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMarquis, David A. 2019. The early years of SILVAH. In: Stout, Susan L., ed. SILVAH: 50 years of science-management cooperation. Proceedings of the Allegheny Society of American Foresters training session; 2017 Sept. 20-22; Clarion, PA. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-186. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 3-7. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-GTR-P-186-Paper1.
- User's guide to SILVAH
- Expanding the SILVAH decision support system to be applicable to the mixed-oak forests of the mid-Atlantic region
- The carbon consequences of thinning Allegheny hardwoods: Lessons learned from a study designed to inform SILVAH development
XML: View XML