Skip to Main Content
Urban tree canopy assessment: A community’s path to understanding and managing the urban forestAuthor(s): Annie Hermansen-Baez
Source: FS-1121. Washington, DC.
Publication Series: Other
PDF: Download Publication (3.0 MB)
DescriptionAn Urban Tree Canopy (UTC) assessment, which provides a measure of a community's tree canopy cover, is important for understanding the extent of a community's forest or tree resource. UTC assessments are often used for establishing and implementing municipal tree canopy goals as part of broader urban greening and sustainability initiatives. Most useful when it is combined with other information-such as the extent of impervious surfaces, socioeconomic and health data, traffic density, and heat island maps-UTC assessment contributes to broader urban greening goals, enabling communities to craft management plans and make policy decisions to optimize benefits from urban forests. This report provides an overview of the approaches, methods, and data sources used in UTC assessments, focusing on the initial steps of project planning, assessment, and analysis. The report also provides general guidelines for conducting UTC assessments and analysis to ensure useful, quality results that can be applied in management and decision-making efforts, and resources for planning and implementing the UTC assessment process. The report is designed to help personnel involved in urban natural resource planning mov
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationU.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 2019. Urban tree canopy assessment: A community’s path to understanding and managing the urban forest. FS-1121. Washington, DC. 16 p. https://www.fs.fed.us/sites/default/files/fs_media/fs_document/Urban%20Tree%20Canopy%20paper.pdf
- Applications of urban tree canopy assessment and prioritization tools: supporting collaborative decision making to achieve urban sustainability goals
- Development practices and ordinances predict inter-city variation in Florida urban tree canopy coverage
- Prioritizing preferable locations for increasing urban tree canopy in New York City
XML: View XML