Skip to Main Content
Themes and trends in visual assessment research: Introduction to the Landscape and Urban Planning special collection on the visual assessment of landscapesAuthor(s): Paul H. Gobster; Robert G. Ribe; James F. Palmer
Source: Landscape and Urban Planning
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (547.0 KB)
DescriptionThis paper introduces a Special Collection of 18 previously published articles in Landscape and Urban Planning and its parent journals on the topic of visual landscape quality assessment. To characterize the field and select papers for the collection we used automated and manual searches of the literature and the entire back catalog of this journal (1974–2018). Our analysis identifies and describes six thematic categories: conceptual and theoretical foundations, visual quality assessments, visual impact assessments, extension of visual assessments beyond scenic concerns, integration of visual-aesthetic values in multi-resource assessments, and use of landscape visualizations in visual assessments. Individual paper selections include key papers published on these themes along with exceptional recent work reflecting the states of the art.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGobster, Paul H.; Ribe, Robert G.; Palmer, James F. 2019. Themes and trends in visual assessment research: Introduction to the Landscape and Urban Planning special collection on the visual assessment of landscapes. Landscape and Urban Planning. 191: 103635-. 7 p. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2019.103635.
- Real-Time Landscape Assessment: The Claytor Lake Visual Management Study
- Classification of the visual landscape for transmission planning
- Visual resource stewardship conference proceedings: landscape and seascape management in a time of change
XML: View XML