Skip to Main Content
Creating Safe And Healthy Neighborhoods With Place-Based Violence InterventionsAuthor(s): Bernadette C. Hohl; Michelle C. Kondo; Sandhya Kajeepeta; John M. MacDonald; Katherine P. Theall; Marc A. Zimmerman; Charles C. Branas
Source: Health Affairs
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (89.0 KB)
DescriptionViolence is a leading cause of death and disability in the United States and abroad, with far-reaching consequences for individuals and communities. Interventions that address environmental and social contexts have the potential for greater populationwide effects, yet research has been slow to identify and rigorously evaluate these types of interventions to reduce violence. Several urban communities across the US are conducting experimental and quasi-experimental communitybased research to examine the effect of place-based interventions on violence. Using examples from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Flint, Michigan; Youngstown, Ohio; and New Orleans, Louisiana, we describe how place-based interventions that remediate vacant land and abandoned buildings work to reduce violence. These examples support the potential for place-based interventions to create far-reaching and sustainable improvements in the health and safety of communities that experience significant disadvantage. These interventions warrant the attention of community stakeholders, funders, and policy makers.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHohl, Bernadette C.; Kondo, Michelle C.; Kajeepeta, Sandhya; MacDonald, John M.; Theall, Katherine P.; Zimmerman, Marc A.; Branas, Charles C. 2019. Creating Safe And Healthy Neighborhoods With Place-Based Violence Interventions. Health Affairs. 38(10): 1687-1694. https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2019.00707.
KeywordsViolence, Neighborhoods, Public health, Health conditions, Epidemiology, Social determinants of health, Mental health, Stress, Health policy
- Neighborhood Interventions to Reduce Violence
- Did community greening reduce crime? Evidence from New Haven, CT, 1996-2007
- Citywide cluster randomized trial to restore blighted vacant land and its effects on violence, crime, and fear
XML: View XML