Skip to Main Content
Montana’s forest resources, 2006-2015Author(s): Chris Witt; John D. Shaw; Jim Menlove; Sara A. Goeking; R. Justin DeRose; Kristen A. Pelz; Todd A. Morgan; Steven W. Hayes
Source: Resour. Bull. RMRS-RB-30. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 102 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (13.0 MB)
DescriptionThis report presents a summary of the most recent Forest Inventory and Analysis summary of Montana’s forests based on field data collected between 2006 and 2015. The report includes descriptive highlights and tables of area, numbers of trees, biomass, volume, growth, and mortality, as well as an industry report. Most sections and tables are organized by forest type or forest-type group, tree species group, diameter class, or owner group. Results show that Montana’s forest land covers 25.9 million acres, of which 7 million acres (27 percent) are privately owned, and 15.5 million acres (60 percent) are administered by the USDA Forest Service. The State’s most abundant forest type is Douglas-fir, which covers more than 7.5 million acres. Lodgepole pine is the most abundant tree species by number of trees 5.0 inches or greater in diameter, and Douglas-fir is the most abundant by volume and biomass. Montana’s forests contain 42 billion cubic feet of net volume in trees 5.0 inches diameter and larger. Montana had a negative mean annual net growth of all live trees 5.0 inches diameter at -54 million cubic feet per year over the report’s evaluation period (2006-2015).
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWitt, Chris; Shaw, John D.; Menlove, Jim; Goeking, Sara A.; DeRose, R. Justin; Pelz, Kristen A.; Morgan, Todd A.; Hayes, Steven W. 2019. Montana’s forest resources, 2006-2015. Resour. Bull. RMRS-RB-30. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 102 p.
Keywordsforest inventory, FIA, Montana, resources, timber
- Montana's forest resources, 2003-2009
- Wyoming’s forest resources, 2011-2015
- Idaho's Forest Resources, 2004-2009
XML: View XML