Skip to Main Content
Development of timber buckling restrained braces for mass timber braced framesAuthor(s): Colton Murphy; Chris Pantelides; Hans-Erik Blomgren; Douglas Rammer
Source: In: Proceedings, 6th International network on timber engineering research conference, INTER/52-15-3. Tacoma, WA: 1-14.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (3.0 MB)
DescriptionBuckling Restrained Brace Frames (BRBF) are a proven and reliable method to provide an efficient lateral force resisting system for new and existing structures in earthquake prone regions. The fuse-type elements in this system facilitate stable energy dissipation at large load deformation levels. Currently, the new trend towards mass timber vertical structures creates a need for a lightweight compatible lateral force resisting system. A Buckling Restrained Brace (BRB) component is possible to construct and feasible to implement when combining a steel core with a mass timber casing herein named the Timber-Buckling Restrained Brace (T-BRB). T-BRBs when combined with mass timber beam and column elements can create a system that will have advantages over the current steel framed BRBF system when considering recyclability, sustainability, framing compatibility, and performance. This paper presents findings on small scale testing of candidate engineered wood products for the T-BRB casing and testing of six full scale 12 ft long 60 kip braces according to code prescribed loading protocols and acceptance criteria.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMurphy, Colton; Pantelides, Chris; Blomgren, Hans-Erik; Rammer, Douglas. 2019. Development of timber buckling restrained braces for mass timber braced frames. In: Proceedings, 6th International network on timber engineering research conference, INTER/52-15-3. Tacoma, WA: 1-14.
KeywordsBrace, buckling, building, damping, frame, fuse, seismic, structure, timber
- Lateral testing of glued laminated timber tudor arch
- Hybrid system of unbonded post-tensioned CLT panels and light-frame wood shear walls
- Cross-laminated timber for seismic regions: progress and challenges for research and implementation
XML: View XML