Skip to Main Content
Aldo and Leonardo: A wilderness science and art collaborationAuthor(s): Grant Pound
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-397. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 126 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (48.0 MB)
DescriptionAldo & Leonardo, a partnership between Colorado Art Ranch and the Aldo Leopold Wilderness Research Institute, was a project to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Wilderness Act. The project was inspired by the scientific wisdom of Aldo Leopold and the artistic genius of Leonardo da Vinci. Our endeavor was an interdisciplinary collaboration of artists and scientists designed to celebrate the lands, resources and opportunities protected by the Wilderness Act. In 2013, we hosted one-month residencies in six diverse wilderness areas. Artists worked alongside wildland research scientists and gained firsthand knowledge of the wonders, complexities and challenges of our nation’s wildest places. The result is this body of work that creatively illustrates the value of wild areas and honors the scientific efforts to preserve wilderness for the next fifty years.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPound, Grant (comp.). 2019. Aldo and Leonardo: A wilderness science and art collaboration. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-397. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 126 p.
Keywordswilderness research, Wilderness Act
- Developing a framework for evaluating proposals for research in wilderness: Science to protect and learn from parks
- The Aldo Leopold Wilderness Research Institute: a national wilderness research program in support of wilderness management
- A database application for wilderness character monitoring
XML: View XML