Skip to Main Content
Manitou Experimental Forest (Colorado)Author(s): Mary Beth Adams; Linda Loughry; Linda Plaugher
Source: General technical report NE-321
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (48.0 KB)
DescriptionThe 6,758-ha Manitou Experimental Forest straddles the watershed of Trout Creek, a tributary of the South Platte River, about 48 km northwest of Colorado Springs, Colorado. The Manitou Park area contained within the forest was originally the property of Dr. William Bell, an English physician and Colorado pioneer who had established a number of enterprises on the property, including logging, ranching, resort hotels, and a trout farm. He ultimately gave the remainder of his holdings to Colorado College to establish a school of forestry and be used as a forestry fi eld camp. The Manitou was established in 1936 from land donated to the Forest Service after Colorado College closed its forestry school, from surrounding National Forest System land, and from other purchased properties. As a result, the Manitou contains more than 100 private holdings within its borders, including a major subdivision occupying over 284 ha.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAdams, Mary Beth; Loughry, Linda; Plaugher, Linda, comps. 2008. Manitou Experimental Forest (Colorado). In: Experimental forests and ranges of the USDA Forest Service. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-321, revised. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. p. 131-133.
KeywordsManitou Experimental Forest, Field experimentation, Long term experiments, Forests, Ecosystems, Wildlife, Watersheds, Forest research, History, Forest management, Land management.
- An annotated bibliography of scientific literature on research and management activities conducted in Manitou Experimental Forest
- Overview of the Manitou Experimental Forest Observatory: Site description and selected science results from 2008 to 2013
- Current range management research and results at the Manitou Experimental Forest Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station
XML: View XML