Skip to Main Content
Forest Management for Carbon Sequestration and Climate AdaptationAuthor(s): Todd Ontl; Maria Janowiak; Christopher Swanston; Jad Daley; Stephen Handler; Meredith Cornett; Steve Hagenbuch; Cathy Handrick; Liza Mccarthy; Nancy Patch
Source: Journal of Forestry
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (449.0 KB)
DescriptionThe importance of forests for sequestering carbon has created widespread interest among land managers for identifying actions that maintain or enhance carbon storage in forests. Managing for forest carbon under changing climatic conditions underscores a need for resources that help identify adaptation actions that align with carbon management. We developed the Forest Carbon Management Menu to help translate broad carbon management concepts into actionable tactics that help managers reduce risk from expected climate impacts in order to meet desired management goals. We describe examples of real-world forest-management planning projects that integrate climate change information with this resource to identify actions that simultaneously benefit forest carbon along with other project goals. These examples highlight that the inclusion of information on climate vulnerability, considering the implications of management actions over extended timescales, and identifying co-benefits for other management goals can reveal important synergies in managing for carbon and climate adaptation.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationOntl, Todd A; Janowiak, Maria K; Swanston, Christopher W; Daley, Jad; Handler, Stephen; Cornett, Meredith; Hagenbuch, Steve; Handrick, Cathy; Mccarthy, Liza; Patch, Nancy. 2019. Forest Management for Carbon Sequestration and Climate Adaptation. Journal of Forestry. 118(1): 86-101. https://doi.org/10.1093/jofore/fvz062.
Keywordsclimate adaptation, forest management, carbon, mitigation, climate vulnerability, carbon sequestration
- A practical approach for translating climate change adaptation principles into forest management actions
- Approaches to evaluating climate change impacts on species: A guide to initiating the adaptation planning process
- Adaptation strategies and approaches for forested watersheds
XML: View XML