Skip to Main Content
Environmental effects of postfire logging: an updated literature review and annotated bibliographyAuthor(s): Deborah G. Nemens; J. Morgan Varner; Morris C. Johnson
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-975. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 35 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (8.0 MB)
DescriptionThe practice of removing fire-killed trees from burned forests (or “postfire salvage logging”) has sparked public controversy and scientific debate when conducted on public lands in the United States. This review synthesizes the current scientific literature on the subject, providing an update to a 2000 literature review (PNW-GTR-486) and subsequent synthesis (PNW-GTR-776). Forty-three published studies are reviewed, summarizing ecological effects on wildlife, vegetation, fuels, soils, and other environmental variables. Several key themes emerge from the review and specific research topics for future study are suggested. An annotated bibliography is provided at the conclusion of the document.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNemens, Deborah G.; Varner, J. Morgan; Johnson, Morris C. 2019. Environmental effects of postfire logging: an updated literature review and annotated bibliography. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-975. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 35 p.
KeywordsEcological effects, fire, fuel dynamics, wildlife, salvage, soil erosion, wildfire.
- Research publications of the H.J. Andrews Experimental Forest, Cascade Range, Oregon: 1998 supplement.
- Climate change effects on vegetation in the Pacific Northwest: a review and synthesis of the scientific literature and simulation model projections
- Environmental effects of postfire logging: literature review and annotated bibliography.
XML: View XML