Skip to Main Content
Field note: A new conversion of Forest Inventory and Analysis data for use in the Forest Vegetation SimulatorAuthor(s): John D. Shaw; Aaron Gagnon
Source: Journal of Forestry. doi: 10.1093/jofore/fvz050.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (297.0 KB)
DescriptionForest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) data are useful for a wide range of applications (Shaw 2017), including research, National Forest planning, and private consultation. For some of these applications, FIA data are the primary source of input for projections done using the Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS; Dixon 2002). For the past several years, there has been a barrier to full use of FIA data in FVS, because of rapid changes in the FIA database (FIADB) and difficulty maintaining a translation process that correctly and comprehensively produces FVS-ready tables from FIADB. In addition, the use of Microsoft Access as a data-distribution format was discontinued by the FIA program, because of the fact that FIADB contents for several individual states had exceeded the 2 gigabyte capacity of Access. The need for an updated translation process and new data distribution approach warranted a new approach to both issues.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShaw, John D.; Gagnon, Aaron. 2019. Field note: A new conversion of Forest Inventory and Analysis data for use in the Forest Vegetation Simulator. Journal of Forestry. doi: 10.1093/jofore/fvz050.
KeywordsForest Inventory and Analysis (FIA), data, FIA database (FIADB), Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS), planning
- Using FIA data in the Forest Vegetation Simulator
- Forest inventory and analysis data for FVS modelers
- Using forest inventory and analysis data and the forest vegetation simulator to predict and monitor fisher (Martes pennanti) resting habitat suitability
XML: View XML