Skip to Main Content
Silviculture and forested wetlands of the southeast United States: an introduction to the special featureAuthor(s): Susan-Marie Stedman; Megan Lang; Devendra Amatya
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (211.0 KB)
DescriptionThe papers in this Special Feature are the result of an unprecedented collaboration between the wetland and forestry communities, with the goal of fostering open dialogue regarding the interaction between forestry operations and forested wetlands in the Coastal Plain of the southeast U.S. Many misunderstandings exist between these two communities. These misunderstanding are partially caused by a lack of dialogue and the use of varying definitions for commonly-used terms, such as "loss" and "forested," but are magnified by an incomplete understanding of fundamental biophysical processes that occur within intensively managed forests, especially at broader spatial and temporal scales. Our collaborative effort to engage representatives from the forestry industry, state forestry organizations, wetland scientists, and wetland regulators seeks to overcome these misunderstandings through a wide array of information sharing efforts. These have included one-on-one conversations, group meetings, field trips, and scientific symposia, including a session that was held at the 2016 Society of Wetland Scientists Meeting in Corpus Christi, Texas. Following the symposium, the presenters recognized the need to publish their presented papers as one product to facilitate additional dialog. This Special Feature in Wetlands is the realization of that vision.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStedman, Susan-Marie; Lang, Megan; Amatya, Devendra. 2019. Silviculture and forested wetlands of the southeast United States: an introduction to the special feature. Wetlands. 27(1): 923-. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13157-019-01252-w.
KeywordsForested wetland, Swamp, Silviculture, Forestry, Hydrology, Southeast United States
- Values mapping with Latino forest users: Contributing to the dialogue on multiple land use conflict management
- Gene conservation of tree species—banking on the future. Proceedings of a workshop.
- Special forest products: biodiversity meets the marketplace.
XML: View XML