The impact of climate change on forest systems in the northern United States: Projections and implications for forest management [Chapter 8]Author(s): W. Keith Moser; Patricia Butler-Leopold; Constance Hausman; Louise Iverson; Todd Ontl; Leslie Brand; Stephen Matthews; Matthew Peters; Anantha Prasad
Source: In: Stanturf, John A., ed. Achieving sustainable management of boreal and temperate forests. Cambridge, UK: Burleigh and Dodds Science Publishing. p 239-290.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (3.0 MB)
DescriptionForests play an essential role in the social, economic, and ecological lives of the inhabitants of the northern United States. Forests cover 69.6 million ha, or 42% of the land area of this region, which is both the most heavily forested and the most densely populated quadrant of the United States (Fig. 1). To preserve a full range of forest ecosystem services into the future, managers are working to identify and implement strategies and tactics that take into account the potentially dramatic effects of a changing climate (Nagel et al., 2010). The region encompasses almost 30° of longitude and 10° of latitude and extends from the Atlantic Ocean west to the Great Plains, containing 20 states: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Ohio, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMoser, W. Keith; Butler-Leopold, Patricia; Hausman, Constance; Iverson, Louise; Ontl, Todd; Brand, Leslie; Matthews, Stephen; Peters, Matthew; Prasad, Anantha. 2020. The impact of climate change on forest systems in the northern United States: Projections and implications for forest management [Chapter 8]. In: Stanturf, John A., ed. Achieving sustainable management of boreal and temperate forests. Cambridge, UK: Burleigh and Dodds Science Publishing. p 239-290.
Keywordsforests, climate change, forest management
- Survey responses from Region 9: Are we achieving the public's objectives for forests and rangelands?
- The Increasing Influence of Urban Environments on US Forest Management
- Northern forests, Chapter 7
XML: View XML