Skip to Main Content
Effects of fertilizer on root strength of Sherman big bluegrass (Poa ampla Merr.)Author(s): M. R. Haferkamp; P. O. Currie
Source: Agronomy Journal. 65(3): 511-512.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (148.0 KB)
DescriptionPulling of plants by grazing animals has been a common problem on ‘Sherman’ big bluegrass (Poa ampla Merr.) pastures in Colorado. Fertilizers were applied to individual plants in a greenhouse study to evaluate their influence on plant resistance to pullup. The fertilizer treatments were 56 kg/ha N, 56 kg/ha P, or 56 kg/ha of each element as an N+P combination. Fertilizer treatments were applied to vernalized and nonvernalized plants grown in two soils. Tensions required for pullup in the greenhouse were correlated with total root weight (r = .75**) and significantly increased with N fertilization. Plants fertilized with N produced more vegetative and reproductive shoots, tillers, foliage weight, and root system weight and length. Phosphorus fertilization produced a significant increase in vegetative and reproductive shoots, and a significant interaction between N and P was found for root system size and the amount of roots that were pulled from the soil with the plants.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHaferkamp, M. R.; Currie, P. O. 1973. Effects of fertilizer on root strength of Sherman big bluegrass (Poa ampla Merr.). Agronomy Journal. 65(3): 511-512.
Keywordsgrazing, Sherman big bluegrass, Poa ampla, fertilizer, root strength
- Effect of fertilizer on big bluegrass
- A new species of scorpionfly from the Bluegrass Region of Kentucky (Mecoptera: Panorpidae)
- Estimates of herbaceous standing crop by microdensitometry
XML: View XML