Skip to Main Content
Using Forest Inventory and Analysis Data to Support National Forest Management: Regional Case StudiesAuthor(s): Coeli Hoover; Renate Bush; Marin Palmer; Emrys Treasure
Source: Journal of Forestry
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (409.0 KB)
DescriptionAlthough many forestry practitioners have a general understanding of the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program and the type of data collected, most non-expert users of FIA reports and basic data are unlikely to be familiar with the breadth of information available and the many potential uses of the data. We present case studies from three USDA Forest Service regions to highlight a variety of applications of FIA data, from informing the forest plan revision process to supplying managers with timely information on important forest attributes at the stand and landscape scales. These examples illustrate the utility of FIA data in meeting managers' information needs, the importance of the linkages between research and management throughout the agency, and the role that the FIA program can play in fostering those collaborations.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHoover, Coeli M; Bush, Renate; Palmer, Marin; Treasure, Emrys. 2020. Using Forest Inventory and Analysis Data to Support National Forest Management: Regional Case Studies. Journal of Forestry. 118(3): 313-323. https://doi.org/10.1093/jofore/fvz073.
Keywordsinventory, monitoring, National Forest System
- How might FIA deliver more information on status and trends of non-timber forest products?
- A report on the potential use of USDA Forest Service forest inventory and analysis data by the Bureau of Land Management
- Doing more with the core: Proceedings of the 2017 Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Science Stakeholder Meeting; 2017 October 24- 26; Park City, UT
XML: View XML