Skip to Main Content
Institutional Timberland Ownership in the US South: Magnitude, Location, Dynamics, and ManagementAuthor(s): Daowei Zhang; Brett J. Butler; Rao V Nagubadi
Source: Journal of Forestry
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (346.0 KB)
DescriptionWe have compiled an exhaustive list of timberland investment management organizations (TIMOs) and timberland real estate investment trusts (REITs) and used USDA Forest Service, Forest Inventory Analysis data to quantify their acreage, distribution, dynamics, and management practices. We find that TIMOs and REITs own/manage about 16 million ac or 10% of the timberland across 11 southern states and that they manage these forests in a sustainable fashion in terms of growth-to-removals and reforestation. Furthermore, TIMOs and REITs own/manage more forest plantations than other owners and harvest more hardwood than is grown. Most of the timberland owned and managed by TIMOs and REITs, located mainly in the southern coastal plain and Piedmont regions, were previously owned by forest industry firms.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZhang, Daowei; Butler, Brett J.; Nagubadi, Rao V. 2012. Institutional Timberland Ownership in the US South: Magnitude, Location, Dynamics, and Management. Journal of Forestry. 110(7): 355-361. https://doi.org/10.5849/jof.12-015.
Keywordsinstitutional timberland ownership, industrial timberland ownership, Timberland Investment Management Organizations (TIMOs), Timberland Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs), forest management, forest sustainability
- Family Forestland Owners of the Lake States:Timber Harvest Activities and Implications for Sustainable Forest Management
- Shifting private timberland ownership in South Carolina: implications for management intensiy
- A Survery of Timberland Investment Management Organizations Forestland Management in the South
XML: View XML