Skip to Main Content
rFIA: An R package for estimation of forest attributes with the US Forest Inventory and Analysis databaseAuthor(s): Hunter Stanke; Andrew O. Finley; Aaron S. Weed; Brian F. Walters; Grant M. Domke
Source: Environmental Modelling & Software
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionForest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) is a US Department of Agriculture Forest Service program that aims to monitor changes in forests across the US. FIA hosts one of the largest ecological datasets in the world, though its complexity limits access for many potential users. rFIA is an R package designed to simplify the estimation of forest attributes using data collected by the FIA Program. Specifically, rFIA improves access to the spatiotemporal estimation capacity of the FIA Database via space–time indexed summaries of forest variables within user-defined population boundaries (e.g., geographic, temporal, biophysical). The package implements multiple design-based estimators, and has been validated against official estimates and sampling errors produced by the FIA Program. We demonstrate the utility of rFIA by assessing changes in abundance and mortality rates of ash (Fraxinus spp.) populations in the Lower Peninsula of Michigan following the establishment of emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStanke, Hunter; Finley, Andrew O.; Weed, Aaron S.; Walters, Brian F.; Domke, Grant M. 2020. rFIA: An R package for estimation of forest attributes with the US Forest Inventory and Analysis database. Environmental Modelling & Software. 127: 104664. 10 p. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2020.104664.
KeywordsForest Inventory and Analysis, R package, rFIA
- Emerald ash borer modeling methods for future forest projections
- Modeling the effects of emerald ash borer on forest composition in the Midwest and Northeast United States
- Forests of South Dakota, 2013
XML: View XML