Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Field performance of timber bridges. 8, Lynches Woods Park stress-laminated deck bridgeAuthor(s): J. P. Wacker; M. A. Ritter; D. Conger
Source: (Research paper FPL ; RP-551):17 p. : ill., maps ; 28 cm.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (1.5 MB)
DescriptionThe Lynches Woods Park bridge was constructed during the summer of 1990 in Newberry, South Carolina. It is a single-span, single-lane, stress-laminated deck superstructure that measures approximately 30 ft long, 16 ft wide, and 14 in. deep. The bridge is unique in that is one of the first known stress-laminated deck bridges to be constructed of Southern Pine lumber treated with chromated copper arsenate. The performance of the bridge was continuously monitored for approximately 3 years, beginning 10 months after installation. Performance monitoring involved gathering and analyzing data relative to the wood moisture content, force level in the stressing bars, and behavior under static-load conditions. In addition, comprehensive visual inspections were conducted to assess the overall structure condition. Based on the field evaluations, the bridge is performing well with no structural or serviceability deficiencies.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWacker, J. P.; Ritter, M. A.; Conger, D. Field performance of timber bridges. 8, Lynches Woods Park stress-laminated deck bridge. (Research paper FPL ; RP-551):17 p. : ill., maps ; 28 cm.
KeywordsBridges, Structural timbers, Laminated wood, Stress analysis, Stress lamination
- Field performance of timber bridges. 5, Little Salmon Creek stress-laminated deck bridge
- Field performance of timber bridges. 6, Hoffman Run stress-laminated deck bridge
- Field performance of timber bridges. 7, Connell Lake stress-laminated deck bridge
XML: View XML