Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Field performance of timber bridges. 11, Spearfish Creek stress-laminated box-beam bridgeAuthor(s): J. P. Wacker; M. A. Ritter; K. Stanfill-McMillan
Source: (Research paper FPL ; RP-556):17 p. : ill., maps ; 28 cm.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (1.1 MB)
DescriptionThe Spearfish Creek bridge was constructed in 1992 in Spearfish, South Dakota. It is a single-span, stress-laminated, box-beam superstructure. Performance of the bridge is being monitored for 5 years, beginning at installation. This report summarizes results for the first 3-1/2 years of monitoring and includes information on the design, construction, and field evaluations of the wood moisture content, force level in the stressing bars, behavior under static loading, and overall structure condition. Based on field evaluations, the bridge is performing satisfactorily with no structural or serviceability deficiencies. However, two bridge restressings were performed due to excessive bar force loss.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWacker, J. P.; Ritter, M. A.; Stanfill-McMillan, K. Field performance of timber bridges. 11, Spearfish Creek stress-laminated box-beam bridge. (Research paper FPL ; RP-556):17 p. : ill., maps ; 28 cm.
KeywordsBridges, Structural timbers, Laminated wood, Stress analysis, Performance, Construction technology, Stress lamination, Box beams
- Field performance of timber bridges. 7, Connell Lake stress-laminated deck bridge
- Field performance of timber bridges. 5, Little Salmon Creek stress-laminated deck bridge
- Field performance of timber bridges. 8, Lynches Woods Park stress-laminated deck bridge
XML: View XML