Skip to Main Content
New Hampshire Forests 2017Author(s): Randall S. Morin; Brett J. Butler; Susan J. Crocker; Jonathan Horton; Cassandra M. Kurtz; Tonya W. Lister; William H. McWilliams; Mark D. Nelson; Rachel Riemann; Brian F. Walters; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-119.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (5.0 MB)
DescriptionThe second full remeasurement of the annual inventory of the forests of New Hampshire was completed in 2017 and covers more than 4.7 million acres of forest land, with an average volume of over 2,300 cubic feet per acre. The data in this report are based on 1,162 plots located across New Hampshire. Forest land is dominated by the maple/beech/birch forest-type group, which occupies 52 percent of total forest land area. Of the forest land, 64 percent consists of large diameter trees, 25 percent contains medium diameter trees, and 11 percent contains small diameter trees. The volume of growing stock on timberland has continued to increase since the 1980s and currently totals nearly 9.5 billion cubic feet. The average annual net growth of growing stock on timberland from 2012 to 2017 was over 180 million cubic feet per year. Additional information is presented on forest attributes, land use change, carbon, species composition, regeneration, and forest health. Sets of supplemental tables are available online at https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RB-119 and contain: 1) tables that summarize quality assurance and 2) a core set of estimates for a variety of forest resources.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMorin, Randall S.; Butler, Brett J.; Crocker, Susan J.; Horton, Jonathan; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; Lister, Tonya W.; McWilliams, William H.; Nelson, Mark D.; Riemann, Rachel; Walters, Brian F.; Woodall, Christopher W. 2020. New Hampshire Forests 2017. Resour. Bull. NRS-119. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 99 p. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RB-119.
Keywordsforest resources, forest health, forest products, volume, biomass, carbon, habitat
XML: View XML