Skip to Main Content
Nondestructive evaluation of potential quality of creosote-treated piles removed from serviceAuthor(s): Xiping Wang; Robert J. Ross; John R. Erickson; John W. Forsman; Gary D. McGinnis; Rodney C. De Groot
Source: Forest products journal. Vol. 51, no. 2 (Feb. 2001).:p. 63-68 : ill.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (84 KB)
DescriptionStress-wave-based nondestructive evaluation methods were used to evaluate the potential quality and modulus of elasticity (MOE) of wood from creosote-treated Douglas-fir and southern pine piles removed from service. Stress-wave measurements were conducted on each pile section. Stress-wave propagation speeds were obtained to estimate the MOE of the wood. Tests were then conducted on octagonal cants, boards, and small clear specimens obtained from piles and cants. Regression analyses gave a reasonably useful correlation between the stress-wave-based MOE of piles and cants and the corresponding flexural properties of boards and small clear specimens determined by transverse vibration and static bending techniques, respectively. The results show that wood from creosote-treated piles removed from service has the potential for use in exterior structural applications.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWang, Xiping.; Ross, Robert J.; Erickson, John R.; Forsman, John W.; McGinnis, Gary D.; De Groot, Rodney C. 2001. Nondestructive evaluation of potential quality of creosote-treated piles removed from service. Forest products journal. Vol. 51, no. 2 (Feb. 2001).:p. 63-68 : ill.
KeywordsPiles, Pseudotsuga menziesii, Pinus., Wood preservatives, Creosote, Recycling, Nondestructive testing, Modulus of elasticity, Regression analysis, Stress waves
- Nondestructive methods of evaluating quality of wood in preservative-treated piles
- Assessment of the potential quality of preservative-treated pilings removed from service : [abstract]
- Stress wave sorting of red maple logs for structural quality
XML: View XML