Skip to Main Content
Flux-based estimation of parameters in S-systemsAuthor(s): P.J. Sands; E.O. Voit
Source: Ecological Modelling
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThis paper proposes a technique for parameter estimation in S-systems which explicitly takes into account the structure of the S-system dynamic equations as the differences between two fluxes, each of which is a power-law function of state and external variables. If observed values of a flux are available for a number of sets of the variables which influence that flux, the technique of flux-based parameter estimation provides a simple method for estimating the parameters in the flux. Flux-based estimation applies multiple linear regression to the logarithms of the fluxes in terms of the logarithms of the variables and only requires that the number of sets of observations exceed the number of unknown parameters in the flux term. The technique is especially valuable for obtaining initial estimates for an application of a traditional nonlinear least-squares technique for fitting observed data to a dynamic model. Since the S-system fluxes are power-laws, the conclusions drawn here also apply to the estimation of power-laws. The straightforward application of flux-based estimation to data in which the state and external variables are subject to an allometric relationship can give estimates which are unrealistic. It is shown that under these conditions the estimated kinetic orders are linearly related to the logarithms of the rate constants, and that these relationships provide a powerful guide to selecting appropriate, meaningful estimates for the parameters. Different scenarios are illustrated with data obtained from an S-system model of forest growth. The effect of observational error is illustrated by using this model of forest growth to generate observations with varying amounts of observational error.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSands, P.J.; Voit, E.O. 1996. Flux-based estimation of parameters in S-systems. Ecological Modelling. 93(1-3): 75-88.
KeywordsS-systems, Power-laws, Parameter estimation, Forest growth model
- Partitioning error components for accuracy-assessment of near-neighbor methods of imputation
- Temporal fluctuation scaling in populations and communities
- A framework for simulating map error in ecosystem models
XML: View XML