Skip to Main Content
2019 US Forest Service National Silviculture Workshop: Forest Management and Research PartnershipsAuthor(s): Daniel Dey; Thomas M. Schuler
Source: Journal of Forestry
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (284.0 KB)
DescriptionThe 27th US Forest Service National Silviculture Workshop was held May 21–23, 2019 in Bemidji, MN. The theme of the workshop was Forest Management–Research Partnerships. The workshop series began in 1973 and was held annually until 1979, when it went on a biennial schedule. The main purpose of the workshop has been to provide a forum for US Forest Service managers and scientists to come together to share knowledge, approaches, and insights on practical issues facing the National Forests. The workshop location has been near a National Forest to facilitate a field day to review regional management practices, problems, and research on the National Forests. It has been held in 19 states over the years. Beginning in 2007, a concerted effort has been made to invite silviculture professors from university forestry programs across the nation to join in the workshop, as they also are important partners of Forest Service management and research. The objectives of the workshop were to: • Provide a forum to showcase successful partnerships and shared stewardship between forest managers and researchers. • Enhance forest management and research relationships within the US Forest Service and with external partners to meet shared goals and objectives. • Build on the US Forest Service strategic objectives to improve the condition of forests through innovative silviculture and active forest management. • Identify emerging forest-management needs to guide future research investment.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDey, Daniel C; Schuler, Thomas M. 2020. 2019 US Forest Service National Silviculture Workshop: Forest Management and Research Partnerships. Journal of Forestry. 118(3): 215-218. https://doi.org/10.1093/jofore/fvaa014.
Keywordssilviculture, coproduction of science, shared stewardship, forest management, research collaboration
- Forest Management – Research Partnerships: Proceedings of the 2019 National Silviculture Workshop
- Communicating the story of silviculture on the Allegheny National Forest
- Forest health through silviculture: Proceedings of the 1995 National Silviculture Workshop
XML: View XML