Spawning substrate preferences of the Yazoo Darter (Etheostoma raneyi).Author(s): Ken Sterling; Mel Warren
Source: American Midland Naturalist
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (250.0 KB)
The Yazoo Darter (Etheostoma raneyi) is a small imperilled snubnose darter endemic to Upper Gulf Coastal Plain streams in north-central Mississippi. Installation of riprap and wood is being considered in an effort to increase suitable habitat and spawning substrate for the species. In common with other snubnose darters, Yazoo Darters attach their eggs to appropriate spawning substrate. However, it is not known if Yazoo Darters, or other imperiled Coastal Plain snubnose darters, will use rock substrate for spawning given it is almost entirely absent from streams of occurrence. If Yazoo Darters show no preference between wood and rock (rip-rap) for spawning, management would have greater flexibility when designing stream habitat installations for imperiled Coastal Plain snubnose darters, because the installation of rip-rap is much less expensive and time consuming than installation of wood. We used a randomized block experiment in an outdoor mesocosm facility to test for spawning preferences. We counted >7600 eggs and Yazoo Darters used both substrates but used wood more than twice as often as rip-rap. Though we cannot recommend habitat installations using only rip-rap, any installation using a mix of wood and rip-rap will enhance spawning habitat for the Yazoo Darter and at least four other imperiled Coastal Plain snubnose darters.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSterling, Ken A.; Warren Jr., Melvin L. 2020. Spawning substrate preferences of the Yazoo Darter (Etheostoma raneyi). American Midland Naturalist 183:252-259.
KeywordsEtheostoma, Yazoo Darter, fractional spawning, aquatic mesocosm
- Microhabitat estimation of an imperiled headwater fish, the Yazoo darter (Etheostoma raneyi), in Coastal Plain streams
- Life History Of The Yazoo Darter (Percidae: Etheostoma Raneyi), A Species Endemic To North-Central Mississippi
- Captive propagation and early life history of the Yazoo Darter (Etheostoma raneyi)
XML: View XML