Skip to Main Content
Hundred year projected carbon loads and species compositions for four National Forests in the northwestern USAAuthor(s): Patrick A. Fekety; Nicholas L. Crookston; Andrew T. Hudak; Steven K. Filippelli; Jody C. Vogeler; Michael J. Falkowski
Source: Carbon Balance and Management. 15: 5.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (3.0 MB)
DescriptionForests are an important component of the global carbon balance, and climate sensitive growth and yield models are an essential tool when predicting future forest conditions. In this study, we used the dynamic climate capability of the Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS) to simulate future (100 year) forest conditions on four National Forests in the northwestern USA: Payette National Forest (NF), Ochoco NF, Gifford Pinchot NF, and Siuslaw NF. Using Forest Inventory and Analysis field plots, aboveground carbon estimates and species compositions were simulated with Climate-FVS for the period between 2016 and 2116 under a no climate change scenario and a future climate scenario. We included a sensitivity analysis that varied calculated disturbance probabilities and the dClim rule, which is one method used by Climate-FVS to introduce climate-related mortality. The dClim rule initiates mortality when the predicted climate change at a site is greater than the change in climate associated with a predetermined shift in elevation.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFekety, Patrick A.; Crookston, Nicholas L.; Hudak, Andrew T.; Filippelli, Steven K.; Vogeler, Jody C.; Falkowski, Michael J. 2020. Hundred year projected carbon loads and species compositions for four National Forests in the northwestern USA. Carbon Balance and Management. 15: 5.
Keywordsclimate-FVS, climate change, dClim rule, forest carbon planning, Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA), Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS), modeling
- Climate-FVS Version 2: Content, users guide, applications, and behavior
- Assessing forest vegetation and fire simulation model performance after the Cold Springs wildfire, Washington USA
- Simulating post-wildfire forest trajectories under alternative climate and management scenarios
XML: View XML