Estimating the value of forests for provisioning non-timber forest products to market: concepts, approaches, and case studiesAuthor(s): Gregory E. Frey; James L. Chamberlain; John Paul. Schmidt
Source: Agricultural and Resource Economics Review
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (217.0 KB)
Forests provide many tangible goods for human use. “Provisioning” of these goods is one of four categories of ecosystem service (ES) (Millennium Ecosystem Assessment 2005). Non-timber forest products (NTFPs) are a general category of goods provisioned by forests, which include food, medicine, decorations, landscaping, and arts and crafts (Chamberlain, Bush, and Hammett 1998); Chamberlain, Emery, and Patel-Weynand 2018) forests. NTFPs do not include “timber,” that is, wood utilized at industrial scales or sold in commodity markets, but they do include ﬁrewood and wood for artisanal purposes (Belcher 2003); Chamberlain, Emery, and Patel-Weynand 2018). Most literature on NTFPs in the United States does not include animal wildlife, which typically receives separate treatment in forest management and scientiﬁc literature.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFrey, Gregory E.; Chamberlain, James L.; Schmidt, John Paul. 2020. Estimating the value of forests for provisioning non-timber forest products to market: concepts, approaches, and case studies. Agricultural and Resource Economics Review. 49(1): 91-116. https://doi.org/10.1017/age.2019.17.
KeywordsDerived demand, Ecosystem service valuation, Markets, Non-timber forest products, Provisioning
- Forest ecosystem services: Provisioning of non-timber forest products
- Ecosystem services: a new NRS-FIA analytical science initiative
- Effects of climate change on ecosystem services [Chapter 13]
XML: View XML