Forest Management – Research Partnerships: Proceedings of the 2019 National Silviculture WorkshopAuthor(s): Lauren S. Pile; Robert L. Deal; Daniel C. Dey; David Gwaze; John M. Kabrick; Brian J. Palik; Thomas M. Schuler
Source: 2019 May 21-23; Bemidji, MN. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-193. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 226 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report - Proceedings
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (7.0 MB)
DescriptionSince its inception in 1973, the National Silviculture Workshop (NSW) has brought together forest managers and researchers from across the USDA Forest Service, and more recently our university and other partners, to provide a forum for information sharing and science advancements in silviculture. The 2019 NSW focused specifically on this partnership with the theme "Forest Management-Research Partnerships" in Bemidji, MN. With nearly 300 participants, this proceedings and that of the Journal of Forestry special section (Volume 118, Issue 3), highlight some of the best outcomes of our history of working together, as well as its challenges, and opportunities for the future. The objectives of the workshop included 1) providing a forum to showcase successful partnerships and shared stewardship between forest managers and researchers, 2) enhancing these relationships within the Agency and with our external partners to meet shared goals and objectives, 3) building on the Forest Service strategic objectives for improving the conditions of forests through innovative silviculture and active forest management, and 4) identifying emerging forest management needs to guide future research investment. This report includes of 22 papers (including two from 2017 NSW) and 6 paneldiscussion summaries. The report also includes two papers from the 2017 NSW, "Silviculture: The Foundation for Restoration, Resilience, and Climate Adaptation" held in Flagstaff, AZ.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPile, Lauren S.; Deal, Robert L.; Dey, Daniel C.; Gwaze, David; Kabrick, John M.; Palik, Brian J.; Schuler, Thomas M., comps. 2020. Forest Management – Research Partnerships: Proceedings of the 2019 National Silviculture Workshop; 2019 May 21-23; Bemidji, MN. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-193. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 226 p. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-GTR-P-193.
Keywordscollaborative, co-production, stewardship, implementation, relationship building
- 2019 US Forest Service National Silviculture Workshop: Forest Management and Research Partnerships
- Forest health through silviculture: Proceedings of the 1995 National Silviculture Workshop
- Communicating the story of silviculture on the Allegheny National Forest
XML: View XML