Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Adaptive management and the Northwest Forest Plan: rhetoric and reality.Author(s): G.H. Stankey; B.T. Bormann; C. Ryan; B. Shindler; V. Sturtevant; R.N. Clark; C. Philpot
Source: Journal of Forestry. 101(1): 40-46
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (335 KB)
DescriptionAdaptive management represents a process to use management policies as a source of learning, which in turn can inform subsequent actions. However, despite its appealing and apparently straightforward objectives, examples of successful implementation remain elusive, and a review of efforts to implement an adaptive approach in the Northwest Forest Plan proves the point. Barriers include an institutional and regulatory environment that stymies innovation, increasing workloads coupled with declining resources that constrain learning-based approaches, and a lack of leadership. The time is right to learn from experiences and consider alternatives.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStankey, G.H.; Bormann, B.T.; Ryan, C.; Shindler, B.; Sturtevant, V.; Clark, R.N.; Philpot, C. 2003. Adaptive management and the Northwest Forest Plan: rhetoric and reality. Journal of Forestry. 101(1): 40-46
KeywordsEndangered species, Pacific Northwest: policy, USDA Forest Service
- Monitoring late-successional forest biodiversity in the Pacific Northwest, U.S.A.
- Northwest Forest Plan: outcomes and lessons learned from the Northwest economic adjustment initiative: Proceedings of a forum; 1997 July 29-30; Portland, OR.
- Establishing a regional monitoring strategy: The Pacific Northwest Forest Plan
XML: View XML