Infrared and Raman spectra of lignin substructures: DibenzodioxocinAuthor(s): Peter Bock; Paula Nousiainen; Thomas Elder
Source: Journal of Raman Spectroscopy
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
Vibrational spectroscopy is a very suitable tool for investigating the plant cell wall in situ with almost no sample preparation. The structural information of all different constituents is contained in a single spectrum. Interpretation therefore heavily relies on reference spectra and understanding of the vibrational behavior of the components under study. For the first time, we show infrared (IR) and Raman spectra of dibenzodioxocin (DBDO), an important lignin substructure. A detailed vibrational assignment of the molecule, based on quantum chemical computations, is given in the Supporting Information; the main results are found in the paper. Furthermore, we show IR and Raman spectra of synthetic guaiacyl lignin (dehydrogenation polymer— G-DHP). Raman spectra of DBDO and G-DHP both differ with respect to the excitation wavelength and therefore reveal different features of the substructure/polymer. This study confirms the idea previously put forward that Raman at 532 nm selectively probes end groups of lignin, whereas Raman at 785 nm and IR seem to represent the majority of lignin substructures.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPeter Bock, Paula Nousiainen, Thomas Elder, Markus Blaukopf, Hassan Amer, Ronald Zirbs, Antje Potthast, Notburga Gierlinger. 2020. Infrared and Raman spectra of lignin substructures: Dibenzodioxocin. J Raman Spectrosc. 2020;1–10.
Keywordslignin, dibenzodioxocin, Raman spectroscopy, FT-IR, dehydrogenation polymer
- FT-Raman study of dehydrogenation polymer (DHP) lignins
- Raman spectra of lignin model compounds
- Vibrational spectroscopy
XML: View XML