Skip to Main Content
A tutorial in model-assisted estimation with application to forest inventoryAuthor(s): Kelly S. McConville; Gretchen G. Moisen; Tracey S. Frescino
Source: Forests. 11(2): 244.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (3.0 MB)
DescriptionNational forest inventories in many countries combine expensive ground plot data with remotely-sensed information to improve precision in estimators of forest parameters. A simple post-stratified estimator is often the tool of choice because it has known statistical properties, is easy to implement, and is intuitive to the many users of inventory data. Because of the increased availability of remotely-sensed data with improved spatial, temporal, and thematic resolutions, there is a need to equip the inventory community with a more diverse array of statistical estimators. Focusing on generalized regression estimators, we step the reader through seven estimators including: Horvitz Thompson, ratio, post-stratification, regression, lasso, ridge, and elastic net. Using forest inventory data from Daggett county in Utah, USA as an example, we illustrate how to construct, as well as compare the relative performance of, these estimators. Augmented by simulations, we also show how the standard variance estimator suffers from greater negative bias than the bootstrap variance estimator, especially as the size of the assisting model grows. Each estimator is made readily accessible through the new R package, mase. We conclude with guidelines in the form of a decision tree on when to use which an estimator in forest inventory applications.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcConville, Kelly S.; Moisen, Gretchen G.; Frescino, Tracey S. 2020. A tutorial in model-assisted estimation with application to forest inventory. Forests. 11(2): 244.
Keywordsgeneralized regression estimator, post-stratification, elastic net, lasso, ridge, bootstrap, mase
- Properties of Endogenous Post-Stratified Estimation using remote sensing data
- Statistical inference for remote sensing-based estimates of net deforestation
- Post-classification approaches to estimating change in forest area using remotely sense auxiliary data.
XML: View XML