Skip to Main Content
North-South Variation in the Response of the Pine Engraver (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) to Lanierone and Ipsdienol in Eastern North AmericaAuthor(s): D.R. Miller; K.F. Raffa; M.J. Dalusky; C.W. Berisford
Source: J. Entomol. Sci. 38(3): 468-476 (July 2003)
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (136 KB)
DescriptionLindgren multiple-funnel traps were used to evaluate the response of the pine en- graver, Ips pini (Say), to the pheromones lanierone and ipsdienol, in Wisconsin and in southern Appalachia (western North Carolina and northern Georgia). As in Wisconsin, the attraction of I. pini to ipsdienol-baited traps in southern Appalachia was strongly synergised by lanierone. In Wisconsin, I. pini demonstrated a strong dose-response to both lanierone and ipsdienol, preferring traps releasing lanierone and ipsdienol at the highest rates. I. pini in northern Georgia exhibited dose response to ipsdienol, preferring traps with lures releasing ipsdienol at the highest rate, but little in the way of a dose response to lanierone across the range of release rates tested. In Georgia, the sympatric species I. avulsus preferred traps with lures releasing ipsdienol and lanierone at the highest rates.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMiller, D.R.; Raffa, K.F.; Dalusky, M.J.; Berisford, C.W. 2003. North-South Variation in the Response of the Pine Engraver (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) to Lanierone and Ipsdienol in Eastern North America. J. Entomol. Sci. 38(3): 468-476 (July 2003)
KeywordsIps phi, Ips avulsus, Scolytidae, Pinus strobus, Pinus resinosa, ipsdienol, lanierone, dose response
- Dose-Dependent Pheromone Responses of Ips pini, Orthotomicus latiden (Coleoptera: Scolytidae), and associates in stands of lodgepole pine
- Attraction of Southern Pine Engravers and Associated Bark Beetles (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) to Ipsenol, Ipsdienol, and Lanierone in Southeastern United States
- Variation in enantiospecific attraction of Ips avulsus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) to the pheromone ipsdienol in Georgia.
XML: View XML