Skip to Main Content
Temperate forests and soils [Chapter 6]Author(s): Mary Beth Adams; Charlene Kelly; John Kabrick; Jamie Schuler
Source: In: Busse, Matt; Giardina, Christian P.; Morris, Dave M.; Page, Dumroese, Deborah S. Global change and forest soils: Cultivating stewardship of a finite natural resource. Developments in Soil Science, Vol. 36. Elsevier. p. 83-108.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (454.0 KB)
DescriptionTemperate forests are extensive in the mid-latitudes of Earth and include a broad range of forest types and climates. Temperate forest soils reflect the seasonal variability in temperature and precipitation that make them productive and highly variable. Temperate forest soils also reflect the forest vegetation under which they develop. The extent, distribution and characteristics of temperate forests and forest soils are described in this Chapter, as well as their sensitivity to climate change. Because temperate forests are often located near large human populations, they are also affected by human intervention, such as pollution, management, introduction of pests and diseases, and local and national conservation policies. We consider the effects of changing temperature and precipitation regimes, and their interactions on temperate forest soils. Also, changes in frequency and severity of extreme events, as well as changes in length and timing of the growing seasons, can significantly affect the forests and forest soils.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAdams, Mary Beth; Kelly, Charlene; Kabrick, John; Schuler, Jamie. 2019. Temperate forests and soils [Chapter 6]. In: Busse, Matt; Giardina, Christian P.; Morris, Dave M.; Page, Dumroese, Deborah S. Global change and forest soils: Cultivating stewardship of a finite natural resource. Developments in Soil Science, Vol. 36. Elsevier. p. 83-108.
Keywordstemperate forests, soils, climate change, precipitation
- Silviculture for restoration of degraded temperate and boreal forests
- Patterns and controls on historical channel change in the Willamette River, Oregon, USA
- Cultural practices for restoring and maintaining ecosystem function
XML: View XML