Skip to Main Content
Growth and productivity of a 45-year-old Norway spruce plantation on the Fernow Experimental ForestAuthor(s): Mary Beth Adams; Charlene Kelly; Brian Simpson; John Juracko
Source: Research Note NRS-253. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 11 p.
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (2.0 MB)
DescriptionIn 1973, as part of research addressing the timing, volume, and source of streamflows, a 22.34 ha watershed on the Fernow Experimental Forest was planted with Norway spruce (Picea abies). This publication describes the growth and productivity of this unusual Norway spruce plantation over the intervening 45 years, including information on stand density, incursion of native hardwoods, and reaction to a major disturbance, Superstorm Sandy in 2012.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAdams, Mary Beth; Kelly, Charlene; Simpson, Brian; Juracko, John. 2020. Growth and productivity of a 45-year-old Norway spruce plantation on the Fernow Experimental Forest. Research Note NRS-253. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 11 p. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RN-253
KeywordsNorway spruce, stand dynamics, long-term research, watershed research
- Development of White and Norway Spruce Trees from Several Seed Sources 29 Years After Planting
- Photosynthetic characteristics of Fagus sylvatica and Quercus robur established for stand conversion from Picea abies
- A density management diagram for Norway spruce in the temperate Europe montane region
XML: View XML