Skip to Main Content
Effects of climate change on forested wetland soilsAuthor(s): Carl C. Trettin; Martin F. Jurgensen; Zhaohua Dai
Source: Global Change and Forest Soils
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (308.0 KB)
DescriptionWetlands are characterized by water at or near the soil surface for all or significant part of the year, are a source for food, fiber and water to society, and because of their position in landscapes and ecological structure help to moderate floods. They are also unique ecosystems with long-persistent flora and fauna. Because water is a driving factor for existence as a wetland, these systems are particularly vulnerable to climate change, especially as warming is accompanied by changes the quality and quantity of water moving through these systems. Because they are such diverse ecosystems, wetlands respond differently to stressors and, therefore, require different management and restoration techniques. In this chapter we consider forested wetland soils, their soil types, functions, and associated responses to climate change. Wetland processes are not well understood and therefore additional information is needed on these areas. In addition, more knowledge is needed on the interface between wetlands, uplands, and tidal waters.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTrettin, Carl C.; Jurgensen, Martin F.; Dai, Zhaohua. 2019. Effects of climate change on forested wetland soils. In: Busse, Matt; Giardina, Christian P.; Morris, Dave M.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S., eds. Global Change and Forest Soils. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier:171-188. Chapter 9.
KeywordsHydric soils, Mangrove, Peatland, Swamp
- Effects of climate change on forested wetland soils [Chapter 9]
- Effects of timber management on the hydrology of wetland forests in the Southern United States
- Modeling the potential impacts of climate change on the water table level of selected forested wetlands in the southeastern United States
XML: View XML