Skip to Main Content
New Values of Non-Wood Forest ProductsAuthor(s): Gerhard Weiss; Marla Emery; Guilia Corradini; Ivana Živojinović
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (3.0 MB)
DescriptionThe role of non-wood forest products (NWFPs) in industrialised country economies has declined in the past, but they are generating renewed interest as business opportunities. In a forest-based bio-economy frame, NWFPs can contribute to human nutrition, renewable materials, and cultural and experiential services, as well as create job and income opportunities in rural areas. Applying a service-dominant logic (SDL) approach to analysis of NWFPs, this article aimed to understand how new goods and services are co-created through networks of public and private actors in specific institutional, social, and cultural contexts. This focus sheds light on the experiences associated with NWFP harvest and use, revealing a fulsome suite of values and economic opportunities that include but are greater than the physical goods themselves. Turning the SDL lens on in-depth case studies from Europe and North America, we show dimensions of forest products that go beyond commercial values but are, at the same time, constituent of commercial activities. SDL provides a new view on customer relations, service provision to businesses, and policy measures for innovation support for non-wood forest products.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWeiss,Gerhard; Emery, Marla; Corradini, Guilia; Živojinović, Ivana. 2020. New Values of Non-Wood Forest Products. Forests. 11(2): 165. 19 p. https://doi.org/10.3390/f11020165.
Keywordsnon-wood forest products (NWFPs), non-timber forest products (NTFPs), service-dominant logic (SDL), value creation, innovation, actor networks, case studies, industrialised countries
- Value creation and innovation with non-wood forest products in a family forestry context
- Forest ecosystem services: Provisioning of non-timber forest products
- Estimating the value of forests for provisioning non-timber forest products to market: concepts, approaches, and case studies
XML: View XML